Thursday 8 March 2012

Settling In

My first week is now nearly over and I have begun to adjust. A week filled with highs and lows, as i adjust to the culture shock and absorb my surroundings.  My role at Village of Hope is starting to define itself, amongst organising various donations to sport strips, in preparation for next saturdays sports day. I have learnt the school run, so now can pick up the children from school with out getting totally lost in the squatter camps. I have spent as much time as i can with the children in the unit, learning there names was task i never thought i would achieve, but thankfully i managed that shortly after i thought i was defeated. I have taken part in sports afternoons, wednesday and thursday. The kids love the sports and are so enthusiastic, as we play football on a pitch i am careful not to fall over a pot hole and twist my ankle. As we drive through the community on Tim's buggy the kids come running to say hello and hitch a ride. They are full of hugs and loving comments as we farewell then for the day and ever hopeful that we make it the following week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment