Tuesday 13 March 2012

Community run

Yesterday, I was once again faced with the hash reality of life. As I went out with a Grabouw community nurse. Driving in an out of the squatter camps to visit the category three patients. 

Category One: Patients on treatment, but otherwise healthy 
Category Two: Patients on treatment, occasionally able to work but unwell
Category Three: Patients on treatment, unable to work and bedridden.

We walk around over rocky sand filled with glass, bottle caps, bones and all sorts of rubbish.

The first of the three patients yesterday wasn't there, so we continued down the unmarked paths/roads to the second patient. As we walk in to their house, I see its not much bigger than a single bedroom, with a second adjoining room of roughly the same size. Four beds, one in each corner, a bed made out of crates and a thin bit of foam. Flies circle my head and feet constantly, I can't see much at all as my eyes adjust to the darkness. There are no windows as we are in a wooden shed insulated with cardboard and iron sheets. 

As we drive around the block to the third and final patient for the day, to see a rather unwell looking man. The plan to follow up with him the following day and his family are dedicated to caring for him. 

The rest of my day I spent alone in the woods thinking about what I had seen and making paper plates and rice into shakers for the children in the unit to decorate today. I don't think seeing life in the squatter camps is something I will ever get used to. It really makes me appreciate everything I have and pronounces how much  the majority of the western world rely on material possessions. We all have so much and continue to want more, I have never heard the children we play sports with or the patients we visit, complain. They continue to be joyful and full of faith.  

3 comments:

  1. hard times Kat, but you are making such an awesome difference to the lives of everyone you meet, treat, smile at, care for, or bother with. As you see, living in a tough way doesn't diminish people's dignity, joy or resilience, in fact it seems to strengthen it. The most harmful thing for these precious people is other people's indifference, so you are all a blessing and a wonderful response to that. - CVF&J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i guess that is what i have to keep reminding myself. I know its not for everyone but i only wish that more people could get to experience what we are. everyone said this trip would be life changing but i dont think i realised how life changing it would be. The four of us girls often have the same/ similla conversations about how we have changed and i have only been here just over a week, but already it has opened my eyes to a whole new world. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is a journey Katia and I am so proud of all you are doing to explore and give it all you can. Each of us has to find what works for us. I could not do what you are now doing in the South African communities as I discovered when we worked in Peru in the 1980s. But I have found other ways to contribute, although without a doubt much easier and more comfortable ways, to make a difference. I thought of you this morning as I read in the New York Times Frank Bruni's review of How To Survive a Plague, a new documentary to be released shortly. It recounts the history of the response to Aids. While it made him cry and angry, most significantly, it gave him hope in the story it tells of how successful people can be when they come together to make a difference, with each contributing what they can do best. In choosing nursing, in challenging yourself in so many ways, it is a joy and inspring to know you and listen to your story unfolding.
    All our love,
    Plu and Tony
    The NYT article on How To Survive a Plague can be read at
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/bruni-the-aids-warriors-legacy.html?_r=1&hp

    ReplyDelete