Saturday 10 March 2012

Here Sharky, Sharky, Sharky...













Another thing crossed off my bucket list and I have lived to tell the tale. Shark diving was AMAZING!!! so incredible, I recommend it to everyone. Admittedly as I rolled out of bed at 0500, after getting back from the Jesus Culture concert in Cape Town at midnight, I wondered what on earth I was doing. Willingly going under water in a cage into shark infested water. 


The closer we got to Kleinbaii, I turned to the girls to ask "why we where doing this...?" we all gave the same nervous laugh.

When we arrived at 'White Shark Encounters' we were given breakfast, a safety talk and signed our lives away on the dotted line. We gathered at the boat before driving 10-15mins out to sea in the direction of Dier Island. The nervous laugh continued as we not so lady likely got in to wetsuits. Quickly growing louder as we climbed into the cage. Very unlike me, i put up my hand opting to go first. I am not sure I would have done that a week ago, but I am quickly learning that we should grab every opportunity we can. So i did! 

Unsure of what bars to hold and trying to remember what not to hold, whilst shivering something chronic, the crew yell 'SHARK' as we take a quick breath in and dive under the water to see the magnificent creature pass by the cage without a care in the world for us. I am no longer nervous now, juts cold.  
After 15mins we got out, with grins from ear to ear, as we watched the next lot of 5 descend into the shark cage. 

The view from the boat was still something else, as you could see that sharks coming as they lunge out of the water. Three more hours passed as we watched the sharks circle the boat. Surface for the floating tuna head, which was used to tease them and then they swim away; after thrusting against the boat and cage. 
Grace, Lance, Travis and I jumped in for one last turn which although the water seemed 100 times colder we got to see some more sharky, sharky, sharkys burst out of the water with mouths wide open and shake smack the cage from side to side.

Shark size: we saw 5-6 different sharks throughout the day ranging from 2 - 3.5 meters. This time of year is not the best time of year for shark diving. 

Fabulous day! 

1 comment:

  1. Derr-nuh.
    Derr-nuh.
    Derr-nuh duh-nuh, derr-nuh duh-nuh,
    derr-nuh duh-nuh, derr-nuh duh-nuh,
    da-na-na-naahh!

    You're so brave, shark bait girl !

    CVF&J

    ReplyDelete