Saturday 28 April 2012

A Greater Understanding


I have been at the Village of Hope for seven weeks now. I feel very settled here as I toddle around Grabouw, running errands, picking the children up from school, wandering around and shopping at the spar super-market. I spend as much time as I can in the unit, helping out with the community out-reach sports programs which are run every afternoon from Monday - Thursday and recently I have been getting myself more involved with Bosom Buddies.

Bosom Buddies is an NPO that provides mothers with antenatal and post natal classes, provides a hand crafted bag of essentials to new mothers prior to discharge, and acknowledges and celebrate the birth of their child. Heather and I volunteered there for a morning shortly after we arrived. I really felt the desire to get more involved with the work they do in which ever way I could. So i asked and now find myself down in Sommerset west - a 45 min drive from Grabouw, handing out the newborn goodie bags, and talking to eh new mothers on the maternity ward of the hospital each Thursday. I am also helping to develop a series of information leaflets to include in the goodie bags. The idea being that information leaflets; on breastfeeding, caring for a new born, caring for yourself after chid birth and warning signs in babies. With relevant contact numbers, will be a bit of comfort to new mums, where they go home. There is still a lot of work to do on the leaflets as so far i have three drafts and  down 3 drafts stacks of information. 

Although I don't feel that I am blogging as much or as frequently anymore I continue to be moved by the things I see. In the seven weeks I have been here I have seen many volunteers come and go. Each and everyone of them has been a credit, and I am privileged to have met and got to know them. They have all added something to my time in South Africa. 
 Last week when I blogged about the creche in Iraq, it was hard to express how I felt. As I spend more and more time here, I realise that unless you are here experiencing the highs and the lows, its not something you will be able to totally understand or comprehend. I have found it difficult at times here, seeing the poverty and just praying that things could change, because its just not fair how some people appear to have everything and others have so little, how the divide is SA is so distinctive. 

On Sunday, after we had nicely and deliciously filled our belly's, at the Orchard, a lovely cafe down the road. We saw a young boy of 15, we had seen him before, in the same place. Asking for money for this family, he wandered up to all the parked cars asking for money or food. I think at the same time, it called on all of us to try and help, we gathered some money and Jess took it over to him. He looked so grateful, thanking us and waving as we drove way. I only wish i could have done more, but i am beginning to learn that although we may want to, we cant help everyone and although i may feel i can’t do much every little counts and makes a difference to that person and their family.  

I think at the same time, being able to volunteer at Bosom Buddies, as well as at the Village is adding to the sense of fulfillment. Being around the birth of a new generation, gives hope that one day new birth can be something  that is celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment